Tuesday 1 February 2011

Hello again!
A lot more up and down to report honestly :p My life has become very dramatic.
So Thursday and Friday were good, I had some good classes with the children. One moment sticks out quite a bit, Pierro and Abdiel are a pair of brothers in my class and we were makng some kind of paper mache thing. I was at one table with half the class while the other half worked at another table, Pierro has one hand with is cripple and sometimes its hard for him to do manual things, such as crafts. Abdiel came to me and said ´please please come help my brother, he can´t do this and he´ll be so upset if he is the only one who´s project isn´t good´. So I went over to Pierro who sure enough was struggling, and helped with his paper mache. While I did so, Abdiel hugged his brother and said ´my poor brother can´t do so much because of his hand, its so hard for him and he gets sad´. Hallmark moment! It was so so sweet.
Thursday I took Lizandra out for one on one time, we went to a bakery where we had cake and lemonade. She opened up a lot, we talked about boys which is really important for her since she is the oldest one in the house and needs someone to talk to when it comes to these things. (Alex, again she brought up your name!!!). Then out of nowhere she collapsed into tears, in the bakery. She explained that she was upset about Ely (the head teacher) leaving and couldn´t picture a future without her sunce Ely has been at the school for years and is very much a part of the family. So Lizandra was able vent her feelings in a very long conversation we had about Ely leaving. Then to cheer her up a little I took her to Plaza de Armas and gave her a very amateur manicure, which vastly improved her mood! SO it was great outing and really beneficial for her to talk about her feelings.
Then I was off to Cuzco for the weekend with Suzanne, fun fun fun! We ended up staying at different places, I was in a hostel and she in a bed and breakfast. But we met up every night at a Salsa club where I have now learnt to Meringue and very simple salsa steps.
So now the bad....or rather the sad.....
Monday is our day to go to the rainbow house and spend time with the kids. So Suzanne and I stayed at the house playing Uno and Ludo with them while Caroline took Soledad out for one on one time. The afternoon passed pleasantly with nothing out of the ordinary to report.
Then I went to an internet cafe to upload pictures and found that my camera was gone.
I ran home to double check that I hand´t left it there, I turned my room upside down, but it was nowhere to be found. I felt sick, could someone at the rainbow house really have taken it? the kids? the house mom? I loved them all so much and hoped that it wasn´t true.
The next morning at school Ely had a loooong meeting with all the children of the rainbow house. When I was called in, most of them were crying. I sat down and my camera and sunglasses( which I hadn´t realized were missng) were handed to me. Each child apologized to me one at a time, in the middle of which I broke into sobs, which made them all cry even more. They said that nothing like this had ever happened before and they all promised that it would never happen again and that they all loved me. It was very very emotional. Noone owned to taking the camera, which is why they all apologized, and it shocked them to see me cry. I still can´t believe on of them did it, I´m sure that they didn´t have th eintent to steal, but probably wanted to take pictures or something. Anyway so lots of crying over that last twenty four hours, unfortunately ontop of the drama I have contracted travellers sickness, as have three other people in the volunteer house. Meaning irregular bowel movements and abdominal pain......not fun. Another Volunteer has arrived (YAY!!) Maggie from Australia who is in her twenties. ALso the new coordinator is her(YAY) Laura from Englad who is also in her twenties. And a guest at the volunteer house named David from America, so FULLHOUSE!!!!!!!
Nice nice nice.

I´ve uploaded more pictures on the first album
And also created another which has picture from weekends, Cuzco, etc.

Also PLEASE COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on people I write loads and loads so I think you can muster a few sentences ;)

Ok thanks for reading and send me positive energy for my bowels! HAHA! ok lots of hugs and love and good karma!

xxxxxxxxx

Chloe

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Dear Chloe,

You do not know me, but I was a volunteer in Urubamba 7 years ago! Reading stories about Lizandra and seeing pictures of little Sharon who is not so little anymore brings back so many happy memories and makes me wish that I could revisit Arco Iris one day. You are doing a wonderful thing by being there, and I hope that you are creating thousands of happy memories for both yourself and the children.

Please say hello to Louisa from me!

Kind regards,

Elisabeth from the Netherlands

GreenEarth Notes said...

Chloe, more power to you and the work you are doing. It is even better knowing that you are having great fun too. Your future is well set with unique memories. Loved the part about the twins. Keep well & know that you have our love always. Tony, Miriam & Amanda xxx

GreenEarth Notes said...

Chloe, more power to you and the work you are doing. It is even better knowing that you are having great fun too. Your future is well set with unique memories. Loved the part about the twins. Keep well & know that you have our love always. Tony, Miriam & Amanda xxx

The Next Explorers said...

Dear Chloe
What an emotional roller-coaster!!! It sounds like you are dealing with everything in a positive way - you have to believe that the camera thing was not personal - the kids are not as attached to things as we are - I have just had my phone stolen - feel like half my brain has gone!
Tell Luisa that I am very much in love and a Peru marriage is not out of the qustion - I am actually in Bali at the momemt with Marie.
Big supportive hug and a belly tickle to those damn stomach bugs
Ben
x