Wednesday 16 February 2011

It´s been a month!!!

Hi guys!

A lot has happened since I last wrote, we now have two more volunteers in the house; Gerry and Andy a married couple im the sixties. Very nice people. Summer school is almost over! This is the last week, next week is a week off for the kids while we volunteers fix up some things around the school. Tomorrow is the carnevale celebration at school, which is a water and coloured flour fight, which is going to EPIC! I will post pictures :) Last Monday I took Yelson out for one on one time and we had a really good talk about our dreams and plans for the future, the two of us have a great bond. It is wonderful to see him open up and be comfortable because he is quite a shy quiet person. At school we have been rehersing for the end of summer show, my class is putting on a short skit, while some other classes are dancing. It is so much fun but SUCH hard work to get some of these children focussed on the task at hand. We had some trouble with a few feisty boys at the school who were constantly fighting and getting into trouble but after a few trips to the principles office they are now on their best behaviour and are quite pleasant to be around. Two of them are quite happy to sit on either side of me and play with my hands which is very sweet. I´ve been having massage therapy with one of the older downsyndrome students at the school, Katya who is 22. Our sessions have been going well and we have some really good conversations, the therapy is important not only to reduce the pain of her arthritis but also for her to have an outlet where she can express her feelings and thoughts to someone.

We missed our trip to the rainbow centre last Thursday because Soledad had had an epileptic fit at school and was exhausted so it was best to just let her rest. Maggie is now out of hospital, having been put on an Iv drip for four days, she was diagnosed with Kidney infection, two types of salmonella and parasites....YIKES! Glad it wasn´t me, I´ll stick to the irregular bowel movements.....haha! We has a really great weekend in Cuzco, with tours of Saqsayhuaman, Ollantaytambo, Cuzco and lots of other stuff. Valentines day was celebrated in school with lots of friendship and trust games which was a lot of fun and really sweet to watch. Two of the special students Sharon and Michel, who normally are archenemies, spent the day giggling and kissing each other on the forehead and cheeks, much to the teachers amusement. Today one of the students Mauricio, who is 3, fell asleep in my arms for 3 hours (!!!) so adorable, I didnt want to let him go! My spanish has improved greatly and I can now carry on a conversation with the older children which is very rewarding. I´ve also learnt basic sign language so that I can communicate with a wondersful girl named Nayda who has severe loss of hearing. She is wonderful with a great sense of humour and likes to tease people.

. A lot of teasing between the children occured on Valentines day, and poor Yelson got an earful when some boys heard me call him ´mi amor´which translates to my love....whoops!

Thats mostly it I guess...I´ll try and write more frequently. If you try and comment more....haha

So yes, Cuidate (take care)

lots of love from Peru!

Good Karma !

xxxxxxxxx

Chloe

2 comments:

Ben Van Domelen said...

Hey Chloe! Glad to hear everything is coming along well. I'd imagine the first month would be the hardest so if you can manage that I think you can manage anything. It's a shame to hear that Ely is leaving. Where will she be going? I remember meeting her when I went to Peru and she's such a lovely lady. Please say hello to her from me if you would. :) Perhaps she remembers me.

Keep on posting! I'm following it all. :)

000000000000000000 said...

Chloe! Good to hear from you, and that you're doing well. It's so nice to hear from you every once in a while - keep going! :)