Wednesday 19 January 2011

The Rainbow Centre!

The first few days at the Rainbow Centre have been intense! They are currently short staffed so us volunteers have a lot of responsibility resting on our shoulders, which is why it has taken me so long to blog :p Anyone from the second and third generations of Team Peru will know that it doesn´t take much for me to get emotional when it comes to the Kiya children. So when I first walked into the centre and recognized so many faces it was all I could do to stay in control of my tears, thank god I lasted through the day dry-faced! I was remembered by most of the staff, the children however needed their memories jogged a little before they remembered that this was not my first visit to the rainbow centre. Many asked about various members of Team Peru, and asked me to send my love. The children were particullarly happy when they found out that I was friends with Prof Alex and Prof AC. A very enthusiastic Lizandra begged me to ask Alex to please please return to Peru, so Alex there you go! Because the children found it hard to pronounce Chloe, I have now been named ´Claudia´, always with the word ´profe´ in front (teacher), a title which I quite enjoy. Because it is summer school there is not much teaching going on, and the kids were divided into classes according to age. I have my own class(!!!!) that I´m in charge of and my kids(!!!!) are the 6-8 year olds. Those of you from Team Peru might remember Juan Cito from the rainbow house, he is in my class and he is extremely fiesty :) After school Ely took Carolin, Suzanne and I to the Rainbow house were the orphaned children of the centre live with a surrogate mother. These children are Solidad, Lizandra, Juan Cito, Marco, Yelson, Fernando and Matilde. All these children, except for Solidad, are related and came from an extremely poor and abusive family before being taken into the care of Kiya. Now most of the children are in mainstream school, and Lizandra is working. Fernando now has a room at the Rainbow Centre where he works. At the rainbow house Ely talked us through the various emotional, physical and mental problems that each of these children have and what our responsibilities would be concerning them. One of my jobs is to take Lizandra to work, and pick her up when she is done, another is to try to take two children on one on one outings once a week. After this information sessions we were let loose to bond with the children. I immediately sat down with Lizandra. I had forged a strong bond with her three years ago, and it was to her that I made a promise to return to the Rainbow Centre. As soon as I sat down Lizandra started talking about school, her cell phone, profe Alex and how much she missed him(!). After half an hour of gossiping, she became serious and she told me her life story, She talked about living in a one roomed mud hut with her abusive father and mentally ill mother, about how her mother was so ill that it became her duty to look after the children while her brother Yelson cleaned the house. She told me her life was hard, and that she understood that her mother was ill, that it wasn´t her fault, She sat quietly for a while then she looked and me and said, ´My mother was very beautiful,when she was in hospital one day Ely came to see me and I thought she would say your mother is better, she is fine now. But she said my mother was dead. I miss her, even though she was ill. I miss her. I wish you could meet her.´She then went on to say that she could not believe how great her life was now. That everyday she thanks god for bringing Suzy Butler (the founer of Kiya Survivors) into her life, that she loves Suzy with all her heart. That now she knows that she and her siblings are safe and loved. I sat there listening feeling like my heart was going to burst, Lizandra had matured so much since the last time I saw her, she was so willing to open up and talk about such hard years of her life. It is a conversation that I am going to remember forever, and makes me even more dedicated to the cause and the children here.

Ah...that was a lot to get off my chest. The conversation with Lizandra left me somewhat overwhelmed and it feels good to put it all out there and ´tell´someone.
No pictures yet! I didn´t want to bring my camera into school on the first week. SO next week I´ll post some.

Please leave comments, It would be nice to feel like there is an actual conversation going on and that I´m not jsut babbling to nobody in particular, even if thats exactly what I´m doing!

Lots of Love from Peru!

Off to drink some Pisco Sour tonight, here people party on Wednesday :)

xxxxxxxxxxx

Profe Claudia :)

9 comments:

Ben Van Domelen said...

Hey Chloe! It's Ben (Van Domelen). This post is so inspiring and really touching. I'm really really glad you're doing a blog! I promise I'm reading every post with the utmost interest. Please keep posting. :)

Stay safe and stay healthy! I can't wait to get over to Peru myself. For now, you're my guinea pig. :)

Best wishes!

charlotteaimee said...

Hey love!

I'm sitting here in freeeezing Scotland reading your posts, and thinking of you and your amazing adventure over there :). Can't say I'm not the teensiest bit jealous!!

I haven't ever met Lizandra, but she sounds like an amazing person, having gone through all that. It already sounds like you're making such a difference to the kids there, and you've been there what.. a week??

Keep posting, and I'm looking forward to more pictures!! xxxxxx

Unknown said...

hey claudia ;) it's michaela (pavlackova form jordan) i haven't read all your posts yet but im about to and will in the future:) just wanted to let you know that ist really nice what you're doing, i know that its sad what you're hearing but i believe it helps those kids, so keep on doing what you're doing, i support you in it and hope you'll be big support to kids that need you :)

Unknown said...

Hi Profe Claudia,
be assured that we are reading and rereading every word you write my dear girl. So, keep them coming!

You are finally living what you've have been preparing for so long. What a difference you'll make in these children's life!!!!

we love you and miss you

candlenut said...

Chloekutty, You are doing something really amazing bringing light to the kids who most need it in Peru. Your blog makes for excellent, informative reading & I shall be following it even more closely once I return to Malaysia. Am in the UK helping out Tamara 7 enjoying little Leo. Know that you are so loved by us all-your extended family worlwide. Oommah xxx

The Next Explorers said...

Thank you Chloe for writing such a personal email - the kids at The rainbow Centre are incredible and it always blows me away how insightful they are - wow!! I always end up asking myself "How is it possible that these kids are so positive considering what they have suffered".
Spending time with the kids at the centre is a privilege and the best way to put our lives into perspective. It is so important that we take time out of our comfort zone to realise what we have.
Suck in every interaction and moment you have with the kids Chloe, it will fill you with the energy to fight for them for a lifetime.
Love Life
Ben/Wardy

The Next Explorers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kayangan Heights RA RA said...

Hi Chole@Claudia dear...your blog is truly inspiring and I am going to get Preethika and jai to read it too - set their footsteps into the future. What a great job you're doing. We're so proud of you. Our love and good wishes as you give more of yourself to these very frtunate kids.

Devan & Conny

Suzy said...

Hullo! Am so proud of you for going back and happy that someone so special and positive is there to support the kids and projects! Please send them all my love and cuddles and tell them not long now! I arrive beginning of march and can't wait to c them all!
Be well, stay focussed and shout if u need a shoulder!
Much love, peace and thanks, Suzyx