Thursday 13 January 2011

Peru at Last!



-Newark Airport -Sunset Lima -Fountain in La Plaza de L armas






-Sacrificial Knife -Statue of the first Liberator of Peru





-Beach in Lima -Oldest hotel in Peru -Bishops something.....(?) :p




So while I am not yet at the Rainbow centre, I have landed in the beautiful country that is Peru. I was immediately greeted by a wave of humidity, a crowd of very loud short people and the smell of sweat, exactly how I remember it! I met Mario the Kiya driver, and an hour later we met Caroline, another volunteer who is 28 years old, but we get still along great, we are both find of laughing :) . We were then taken to the Lima Wasi hotel which has been renovated since the last time I stayed there, it is quite the fancy hotel now :)


We did a bit of exploring in order to find lunch and I could not believe how tourist-y the area has become! We turned the corner and were faced with a Starbucks, Dunkin´ Donuts, T.G.I Fridays, Chili´s, Tony Roma´s, etc etc. All we were looking for was some Peruvian food, which we didn´t find, and hence we settled for Pizza Hut. Sigh.

We took a City tour of Lima at 2pm, we had a very charming tour guide named Alfredo from whom I learned that Lima has a population of 9 million, and Peru itself has a population of 29 million. Also 60% of Peru´s exports are mined goods, such as coal. We also learned that the first five star hotel to be built in Peru was the sheraton, and we were shown the oldest hotel in Peru where Ernest Hemingway and Mick Jagger were said to have tried their first Pisco Sour. After that, Caroline and I enjoyed an exotic dinner at Starbucks. Now we are off to bed early because Mario is picking us up at 7(!) tomorrow morning for our flight to Cuzco.


So I´ll will see you in Cuzco!


Lots of Love,


Chloe




















1 comment:

The Next Explorers said...

I am so excited for you!!!!! I cant wait to hear your reaction of seeing the Rainbow Centre again - it is such a special place!!!! I am so proud of you. Ben x